Leave a Legacy
Join the Primate Family Legacy Circle
Pledge to leave a legacy
to Chimpanzee Sanctuary Northwest beyond your time on earth.
The last gift that you give can be your most significant and will continue the care of the primate family at the sanctuary beyond your lifetime. It's a precious and touching gift that will be treasured.
In 2014, for example, the sanctuary received a donation from the estate of Marcia Douthwaite, who had been a dedicated supporter of Chimpanzee Sanctuary Northwest in addition to other animal charities. Marcia's gift allowed us to build our reserve funds, helping to ensure the long-term support and protection of the seven chimpanzees she cared so deeply about. Prior to her death, J.B. and Diana met with her and she gave us a collection of her primate books, establishing the Marcia Douthwaite lending library that we have for staff and volunteers. Marcia was a generous and caring person during her lifetime and her lasting legacy will always be a part of the sanctuary.
Contact Diana with any questions and to let us know that you've included Chimpanzee Sanctuary Northwest as part of your estate planning, making you too a member of the Primate Family Legacy Circle. diana@ChimpsNW.org, 509-699-0728.
You can also choose to fill out the pledge form at the end of this page.
Your Estate Plan:
You can ensure the care of the primates at Chimpanzee Sanctuary Northwest and the continuation of the sanctuary by leaving a gift or bequest in your will or trust. Depending on your personal estate plan, this may be as simple as including brief language in your will, such as:
“I give to Chimpanzee Sanctuary Northwest, a nonprofit corporation of the State of Washington, located at
PO Box 952 / 25351 Hwy 10, Cle Elum, WA 98922, EIN 68-0552915 (choose one or more) The sum of $_________________ and/or _____ shares of stock in ___________________ company or _____% of my estate."*
IRA and 401(k) Giving:
There are benefits to naming Chimpanzee Sanctuary Northwest as a beneficiary or changing the beneficiary of your IRA, 401(k) or 403(b) to the sanctuary. Please see this page from Fidelity Charitable Trust for reference information*.
It is as easy as completing a form (called the beneficiary designation form), and money will be distributed very quickly after death.
Because Chimpanzee Sanctuary Northwest is a 501c3, the sanctuary would receive 100% of the donation, whereas leaving it to individuals could subject the money to income tax.
*No Legal Or Tax Advice Intended: Please note that these materials are for informational purposes only. The information provided here is not intended, and should not be taken, as legal or tax advice. We suggest discussing this information with your attorney and/or tax advisors regarding your particular circumstances.
Sponsor a Day!
Sponsor a day of sanctuary! Ready to donate? Go here.
You can sponsor any day of the year in honor or in memory of a loved one, to celebrate a birthday (including your own birthday!), as a congratulations for a special occasion, or to join in the celebration of one of the chimpanzees' birthdays or favorite holidays.
When you sponsor a day you are helping to cover food, medical, and direct care costs for Annie, Burrito, Foxie, Jamie, Jody, Missy, and Negra – and you get a special mention on our blog! All sponsorship money goes toward the care of the chimpanzees and your gift is tax deductible.
Choose the day you’d like to sponsor (see the calendar below) and then click here to fill out the donation form. Thank you for supporting a day of sanctuary!
Be a Chimpanzee Pal
Be a part of the family by joining the Chimpanzee Pal program! Ready to donate? Go here.
Chimpanzee Pals sponsor the chimpanzee of their choice for $240 annually ($240 one-time donation, or $20/month recurring).
When you sponsor a chimpanzee you are helping to cover food, medical, and direct care costs for that individual – and you get photos and stories about their lives at the sanctuary! All pal sponsorship money goes towards the direct care of the chimpanzees and your gift is tax deductible.
Become a pal yourself or give the gift of a pal sponsorship for a birthday, holiday or special occasion. You or your gift recipient receives:
- Your name or your gift recipient’s name on your pal’s webpage
- Special photo emailed to you or your gift recipient on your pal's birthday
- Quarterly updates on your pal
- End of year thank you letter
- 5x7 matted photo of your pal
Certificate of Recognition
Choose the chimpanzee you’d like to sponsor and then click here to fill out the donation form. Welcome to the family!
Guidelines for Gifts
The chimps have such a wonderful family of supporters. Every week, we receive packages of food and enrichment from people all across the country. We rely on these gifts to keep the cupboards stocked and the enrichment bins full, which in turn helps keep the chimps happy. To ensure that we are able to use all of your generous donations, please take a look at our health and safety guidelines for food and enrichment.
If you follow the blog, you know that we serve a wide variety of food to the chimps. But for their health and safety, we follow these food rules:
- Nothing homemade prepared outside of the chimp house kitchen – Because we can never be 100% sure of the ingredients or the conditions in which foods are prepared, we don't give the chimps any homemade foods (e.g. baked goods, trail mix, etc.).
- No added sugar – We limit the sugar in the chimps' diet to sugar from natural sources such as whole fruit. Captive chimpanzees are at significant risk for diet-related illnesses such as diabetes and heart disease. We've found that with enough variety, chimpanzees will continue to get excited about healthy food, so we're confident that they don't feel deprived. When we do give foods that are sweetened, they're generally used to deliver medication (Gatorade is a favorite). If you do send food, check the ingredients label – you'd be amazed at the things they add sugar to (like dried fruit! Why?).
- No salt – There is a relationship between sodium and heart disease in humans, and the same is thought to hold true for chimpanzees. Therefore, to be on the safe side, we limit the amount of salt in their diet.
- No mangoes – Mangoes are great for chimps in general, but we have reason to believe that Annie is allergic to them.
- No meat, dairy, or eggs – The chimps at CSNW get plenty of protein from nuts, seeds, beans, and primate chow.
- Very limited grains and processed food – The chimps do get treats from time to time, but we try to stick to fresh foods and whole grains as much as possible. Acceptable grains and processed foods include whole grain pasta, brown rice, quinoa, and old-fashioned oats.
Variety is just as important when it comes to enrichment. We try to give them a little bit of everything, but for their safety, we follow these guidelines. Please note that these rules have changed over the years as we have observed the chimps interacting with different types of enrichment. Please also note that these rules apply to CSNW only and that other facilities must make their own determination as to what is safe for the particular chimpanzees in their care.
- No glass, wire, metal, large staples, or sharp edges
- No batteries or battery operated toys (even when the batteries are removed)
- No soft/flexible rubber, latex, soft/thin plastic, or foam, or styrofoam
- No small beads or beans in stuffed toys
- No tape
- No paintbrushes with metal tips
- No etch-a-sketches
- No needle point
- No pens
- No ribbon or string
- All art supplies must be labeled as "nontoxic"
- Inedible objects between 1/2" and 2" (i.e., between the size of a raisin and a clementine) pose a risk if ingested. Therefore, we screen out these object from the chimps' enrichment. This includes objects inside of toys that could be accessed by the chimps if the toy was broken open.
We understand that these guidelines are restrictive and may be difficult to follow. If you have any questions about an item that you would like to donate, please feel free to contact us.
You can also earmark a monetary gift towards enrichment so that the staff can purchase acceptable items.
Thanks so much for your support – and keep those donations coming! As you can see from the blog, the chimps' lives are enriched each day by your generous gifts.
Distribute Promotional Materials
Contact Diana if you would like to distribute print materials.
Thanks to Loudmouse Graphic Design and Sappi Ideas that Matter we have amazing new promotional print materials.
The Sappi Ideas that Matter grant enabled us to print and distribute thousands of postcards like the Foxie card above (a different design for each chimpanzee).
Plus 4- panel brochures:
Seattle's Poster Giant learned of our project and donated their services by hanging 100 posters of Negra at various businesses in Seattle.
We also have small but very effective "calling cards," printed by W.I.G.T., available through our online store.
Contact Diana if you would like calling cards, brochures, booklets or 18x24in posters to distribute or if you have other promotional ideas.
Help Us Fundraise
Interested in holding your own fundraising events or initiatives or helping with CSNW sponsored events? Email us at donate@ChimpsNW.org with your ideas.
Buy and Sell on eBay for Chimpanzee Sanctuary Northwest!
You can find whatever you're looking for on eBay – from books to clothes to new cars and more. You can get a great deal and support the chimpanzees at the same time through our membership in the eBay Giving Works program.
Shop now - find current listings on ebay that support Chimpanzee Sanctuary Northwest
You can also support us when you sell on eBay. Just designate our organization to receive 10-100% of your final sale price the next time you list something great. Did you know that charity listings often get more bids and higher prices than regular eBay listings? Boost your sales and support our critical work while you’re at it! Plus eBay gives back to you too, with a fee credit on your basic selling fees.
Sell now to support Chimpanzee Sanctuary Northwest
Use your Fred Meyer Rewards Card to Give to the Sanctuary
Fred Meyer is donating $2.5 million per year to non-profits in Alaska, Idaho, Oregon and Washington, based on where their customers tell them to give.
Here’s how the program works:
*Sign up for the Community Rewards program by linking your Fred Meyer Rewards Card to Chimpanzee Sanctuary Northwest at www.fredmeyer.com/communityrewards. You can search for us by our name or by our non-profit number: 88321.
*Then, every time you shop and use your Rewards Card, you are helping Chimpanzee Sanctuary Northwest earn a donation!
*You still earn your Rewards Points, Fuel Points, and Rebates, just as you do today.
*If you do not have a Rewards Card, they are available at the Customer Service desk of any Fred Meyer store.
*For more information, please visit www.fredmeyer.com/communityrewards.
Donate your vehicle for Chimpanzee Sanctuary Northwest!
Donate your car, boat, RV, or motorcycle through Cars for Causes and a portion of the sales will help support the chimpanzees.
*Vehicle donations are tax-deductible.
*There is no cost to you for Cars for Causes to pick up for vehicle for sale.
*Cars for Causes handles the selling of your vehicle, gives us a portion of the sale, and gives you a tax receipt for your donation.
Donate now to support Chimpanzee Sanctuary Northwest!
Wish and Dream List
View our Amazon.com wishlist
See Guidelines for Gifts for tips on some things we avoid giving the chimpanzees.
- Toys without batteries, glass or metal - should be suitable for toddler-age children with super-human strength
- Hair brushes
- Popper toys (see Burrito playing with a popper toy on our blog)
- Little Tykes or similar brand outdoor play toys
Cleaning supplies for the chimpanzee
- Scrub brushes
Food items (No sugar, no salt, whole grain, no animal products)
- Children's chewable vitamins
- Fresh produce
- Seeds and nuts (no salt)
- Large rolls of paper (see paper nesting in action on the blog
- Troll dolls (for Foxie)
- Boots and boot catalogs (for Jamie)
Cleaning supplies for the humans
- Floor scrub brushes
- Biodegradable laundry soap
- Dish soap
- Paper towels
- Large sturdy garbage bags
- Exam gloves (non-latex preferred)
- Portable x-ray machine (90 KvP or higher) and film
- Surgical instruments
- Scrubs, surgical gloves, surgical caps & gowns, surgical masks
- Portable cardiac ultrasound w/ probes
- Money to build a clinic, a visitor area and expanded chimpanzee enclosures!
- Trailer or building for on-site office space
- LCD projector for educational presentations - RECEIVED!! Thank you Jackie Mulanax and CompView, Inc!
- Recycled plastic lumber for constructing platforms - call for specifications
- 8"-12" diameter untreated logs at least 10' long
- TIG welder
CSNW would not exist without the help of volunteers. Volunteers actually helped construct the building where the chimpanzees now live! If you have a professional skill that you would like to contribute, please contact email@example.com
As a 501c3 charity, the chimpanzees at Chimpanzee Sanctuary Northwest rely on donations from people like you.
We've been able to do a lot in a short amount of time because we use income very efficiently, we take advantage of many in-kind donations, we utilize volunteers in every aspect of the organization, and we keep our expenses low. Your donation will go far with us!
Ways to Give:
You can sponsor a day of sanctuary for just $100. You pick the day! Give in your own name or as a tribute to someone else. We'll be sure to mention your day on the blog. Just fill out the Sponsor a Day online donation form specifying your chosen day or let us know the day when you send your check. It's as easy as that!
Chimpanzee Pals can contribute $240 for a year of sponsorship, or a recurring $20 per month. Pals receive great benefits, too! See the Chimpanzee Pal page for more information about this program or go straight to the Chimpanzee Pal donation form.
Your generosity helps provide the chimpanzees at the sanctuary with quality care from experienced and knowledgable caregivers and allows us to continue to advocate for all chimpanzees. As a thank you gift and as a way to help you learn more about the chimpanzees in our care, we provide photos of the chimpanzees along with a mailed acknowledgement. And we offer personalized benefits for large donations. If you have any questions about your donation or benefit gifts, please contact Diana.
Chimpanzee Sanctuary Northwest is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization registered in the state of Washington and your donation is tax-deductible. Our federal tax id (EIN) is: 68-0552915.
Online contributions are entered through Salsa Labs and payment is securely processed through Authorize.net.
You will receive a tax receipt by email immediately after making an online donation. For the convenience of online donations, we pay processing fees - please consider rounding up your online contribution by 3% to help us get the full value of your donation.
If you mail a check, you will receive a tax receipt by mail.
For additional information regarding the organization's activities or financial information, Chimpanzee Sanctuary Northwest is registered with the Washington State Charities Program as required by law. Information may be obtained by calling 800-332-4483 or 360-725-0378.
For further questions, please contact the sanctuary: donate@ChimpsNW.org or 509-699-0728. We would be happy to answer any of your questions about donating.