Positive Reinforcement Training progress

January 11th, 2018 by Elizabeth

We’re still plugging away at our Positive Reinforcement Training program and the chimps continue to make strides everyday.

12 Responses to “Positive Reinforcement Training progress”

1. Tobin says:

Thank you for posting this. I am taking the liberty of forwarding this video on to my friend who is on the faculty of the Behavioral Psychology Department at Western Michigan University. Dare I say, Jamie is less iatrophobic than I am.

2. Cherie Erwin says:

Amazing!!! Bravo!!!

3. CeeCee says:

Its kinda scary how smart she is,
    She really knows everything you are asking of her….Wow

4. Arlene and Michael says:

So interesting. It’s wonderful to see the trust you have built with the Chimps. They are so smart. Jamie is amazing. Thanks for sharing!

5. Jo Lathrop says:

Just beautiful and wonderful!! So smart!! So willing! So eager to please (albeit for treats hahaha)! Wonderful job by all of you! Hugs and love to you all…

Thank you, this video was amazing. Considering that for a portion of her life Jamie was prodded and probed and knocked out in a style lacking all kindness and compassion, it astounds me to see her reacting like a champ to her clicker training. How Jamie, and any of the chimps who survived the horrors of biomedical laboratories, can trust again is remarkable β€” gives new meaning to resilience. Just wonderful to see how far she has come. How is Burrito coming along with his PRT? I will never forget seeing J.B. and Burrito working together on my visit! You have such tight connections to the chimps, making this vital training such fun. Great Team Work Ladies!!!

7. Dawn says:

Omg, so freaking smart!!!

8. elaine reininger says:

I am speechless. Thank you so much for showing us the training session. Jamie is more intelligent than anyone could imagine a chimpanzee could be. Which makes it all that much sadder that she lived through the horrible treatment she endured at the medical lab She seems to be enjoying the game. I love how she motions when she wants things to move a little faster.

9. cheryl says:

Wow! This is awesome. Chimps are so smart. Makes your lives easier too. Thanks for sharing

10. Francoise Vulpe says:

Clicker training is an amazingly powerful and respectful (!!) tool for training that anyone who has a dog, even a cat or other animal, should learn. It’s astounding. Even ten years after using a clicker with my dog and having stopped it (because of course he was now perfect :o)), he recognized the clicked and would come running from wherever he was. All that for a $2.00 device and lots of treats.

It is a wonderful gift that it works for the chimps which, as Kathleen says, you’d expect them to fear and refuse participation.